Jan 13, 2006

Second Chance

Hey everybody! It is my great good fortune to inform y'all that I have been given a second chance to receive an appointment to the United States Naval Academy! How awesome is that? Apparently, my congressman had a file on me saying that i wanted to attend the Academy but had nothing else. So I was contacted to see what was the deal. The aide in charge of nominations called me up and asked me whether or not I was still interested in attending, of course my answer was yes, and said that he would be happy to send in my packet and have the congressman give me a nomination.


For those unfamiliar with my story, I have always dreamed of going to the Academy. Ever since I was a little kid, I have wanted to attend and graduate from The Boat School. So, last summer I sent in my preliminary application and crossed my fingers hoping to be viewed as a worthy candidate. Unfortunately, my hopes and dreams were shattered when I received a letter stating that I was not competitive as an applicant because my GPA and SAT/ACT scores were not high enough. They suggested I try to raise them and resubmit my application.


Well, I took the SAT again and I did worse on it the second time around. So I took the ACT. I did alright on the ACT, but mediocrity wasn't going to get me a spot at the Academy, so I decided to chalk this one up to experience and move on. So I pursued other avenues of higher education accompanied by the kick-assedness U.S. Navy. This is why, dear reader, that I now have an application for an NROTC scholarship, both VMI and Virginia Tech application, as well as a couple to other schools all pending final review and approval. It is an understatement to say that I had forgotten about the Academy. I figured I gave my best shot, came up short, and hey let other guys go, a commission's still a commission.


That was all until tonight when a wonderful former Marine, if there is even such a thing, called me and asked if I was still interested and said he would do what was neccessary for me to receive a nomination and would try to help me get into the Academy. Whether this all pans out or not, this guy is THE MAN. Oh, and Congressman Berman is definitely getting my vote. Wish me luck everyone!




P.S. I also want to apologize for the lack of blogging goodness. I have sort of been bare of ideas and have been lazy and not wanted to put the time and effort into writing long posts. But I promise, there is more to come very soon.

<< Home